Lubenham Heritage Trail

Lubenham is situated on the A4304 two miles west of Market Harborough in the picturesque rolling countryside of south Leicestershire. There is easy access from junction 20 of the Ml. Market Harborough can be reached easily by bus and train and buses run regularly from the town centre to Lubenham. If you prefer to travel by car, a free car park is situated in Connell Close off Rushes Lane.

Click here to go to the start of the trail.

Refreshments, including lunchtime and evening meals, are available from the Coach and Horses public house on Main Street.
We ask that you respect the privacy of village residents and ensure you do not trespass on private property.
Please observe the Countryside Code.

For further information on Lubenham and the surrounding area visit the Leicestershire Villages website, www.leicestershirevillages.com.

The Trail is 2.5 miles long and is a leisurely walk of about 2 hours. There are options to cut the trail short at Point 23 – The Railway Bridge and Point 28 – The Village Pump.

To view all the images in full scale, click on the image of the noticeboard, above.

Blue descriptive plaques are attached to some properties. These are highlighted with an asterisk “*” following the Point number, eg “1* – THE OLD VICARAGE”. Items without a plaque have no asterisk in their label, eg “0 – JUBILEE GATES”. The Village Trail starts in the centre of the village at the Jubilee Gates at the east end of the Green. Alongside the Gates there is a “Welcome to Lubenham” Notice board, see above.

Our on-line heritage trail consists of:

  • This web page, which will direct you around the key points of interest in Lubenham with blue plaques on selected buildings.
  • A photo album of all the points on the trail, which provides an on-line virtual tour of Lubenham.
  • A version of the trail in Google Maps.
  • A version of the trail in OS Maps version with an updated printable PDF copy of the trail.
  • A copy of then original leaflet, which was printed over ten years ago.

0 – THE JUBILEE GATES

Note the Jubilee Gates, erected by the village to celebrate Queen Elizabeth IIʼs Golden Jubilee. The trees in the Spinney, which is part of Lubenham Green Gardens, were donated by villagers in 1995–96, many of them in memory of relatives and friends.
Follow the road to the right passing on the left:

1* – THE OLD VICARAGE

Built of ironstone and dating in part from the early 17th Century, it was given by the Rev Henry Bullivant as a vicarage and used as such until around 1980.
Continuing right, note the lane to the left called The Undle. Believed to be an ancient trackway, it was used by horse-drawn wagons to access the windmill situated on Mill Hill.

Immediately next to this is:

2* – MANOR FARM

A fine Queen Anne house built in the early 18th Century of brick with stone dressings. The stable block to the rear dates from 1800. This is the second manor house in the village, the first being the Old Hall (no11).

Immediately next to this is:

3 – THE OLD BAKE HOUSE

The house, originally two thatched cottages, dates from the 17th Century. The bakery itself, on the southern end of the building, can be pinpointed by the door in the end wall at first floor level, where flour was hauled up and stored. The bread oven is still in situ in the room below.

At the junction with Main Street on the left is:

4* – ROSE COTTAGE

A pretty thatched cottage which was built around 1638. Renamed during the 18th Century, this has at various times been a house, butcherʼs shop and smithy. The section with the slated roof was formerly the butcherʼs shop whilst the pantiled area still contains the old forge.


On the right is:

5 – THE WAR MEMORIAL

Situated on the site of the former village pond, the Memorial was moved from its original position on Main Street opposite Westgate Lane in 1949.


Turn left onto Main Street towards Market Harborough. Opposite is:

6 – THE WHITE HOUSE

A 17th Century farmhouse that was rebuilt in the 18th Century yet preserving its earlier internal arrangement.
Note the old beams still visible in the brick work on School Lane. The outbuildings previously housed the dairy, cow sheds and stables.

Continue east along Main Street to:

7* – THE CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL

Built on land donated by local butcher John Ellson for use by Independent Dissenters in the area, the original building was constructed in corrugated iron, a new material at the time, at a cost of £220.
It was opened in 1838 but demolished in 1877 when the present larger brick chapel was built.

Across the road is:

8 – THE HOLLIES

The thatched section is believed to date from the early 18th Century. Similar brickwork in the east wall suggests that the main three-storey section was erected in the 19th Century around an earlier structure. Internal features, which date from both Georgian and Victorian times, indicate several periods of expansion.

Continue eastwards to:

9 – PIPERʼS PIECE

Named after a previous owner and dating from the 18th Century, it was formerly three lacemakersʼ cottages and is now a private home and business.

On the opposite side of the road is:

10* – THE LAURELS

Also known as PARVA SED APTA (translated as Small but Comfortable).
This impressive house, now offices, was built circa 1850 by Joshua Perkins at a cost of £20,000. Constructed mainly of brick it has a number of interesting internal features, including a roof lantern to give light to the entrance hall. In the garden, there was once an outhouse that was used as a Victorian refrigerator, where ice was packed under a hollow stone floor. Note the splendid cast iron fence. The building on the right-hand side, now joined to the Laurels, was formerly the coach house.

Turn right into Old Hall Lane. The walled enclosure immediately to the left is reputed to have been a dog
cemetery. Further along Old Hall Lane, after the stile on the left, the moat of the original manor house can be seen. This still holds water in wet weather.

11* – THE OLD HALL

Originally a mediaeval timber framed building, this was the former Manor House, Baudeʼs Manor, named after Thomas Baude. It was rebuilt, possibly in the late 16th Century, as a two-storey brick building, H-shaped in plan, of which only the south wing survives. The rest was demolished in 1774 after falling into disrepair. The remaining part was extensively refurbished in the late 20th Century. The Old Hall is famous for being the place where Charles I slept before the decisive Battle of Naseby in 1645. His chair can still be found in All Saints Church.


Continue around Old Hall Lane and turn right into School Lane, formerly known as Buswell Lane and Malt Mill Lane.

12 – ALL SAINTS PRIMARY SCHOOL

The building was opened Easter 1859, the children having previously been taught in the church. It is constructed in the Gothic Revival style of red brick with decorative patterns in blue brick and Northamptonshire stone arches over the windows and doors. The school house was later incorporated into the main school and an extension built to the rear in the 1960s. A new school hall, carefully designed to be in keeping with the original building, was opened in 2006, following several years of local fund raising.

Carry on along School Lane towards the main road. The modern houses in the cul de-sac on the right were built on the site of the old Perkinsʼ factory. This factory, together with other premises in the village, made the strange combination of upholstery for
railway carriages, silk top hats, ketchup and pickles!

At the top of the lane and on the left is:

13* – GORE LODGE

Originally built in the 1730s as a farmhouse, this is a fine example of a 19th Century hunting box, redesigned by the famous architect R W Edis in the 1870s for Benedict John (Jack) Angell, owner of the Cottage Estate. (See also nos 17and 19.) Angell paid for the alterations to the house after losing a wager with the then resident, his uncle John Gore. He added the mock Tudor front, raised the roof to provide a second floor, enlarged the living accommodation and built the stables – hence the name ʻThe House that Jack Builtʼ over the porch. Note the metal sunflower decorations over the gables.

13a – CLOCK COTTAGE

Turning left into Main Street, CLOCK COTTAGE with its distinctive facing tiles and clock made by Rimmington of Lubenham can be seen over the courtyard gates.

Further along Main Street is:

14* – THE COACH AND HORSES

Formerly the White Swan, this was a coaching inn with stables and a smithy, on the route from Market Harborough to the West. A long ironstone fronted building, it has fine mullioned and transomed windows and is dated 1700 with the initials JSA.
A beam behind the bar reads ʻHappy the house the goods whereof excel when the owners godly and those gotton well. WS HC 1610ʼ.

Next, on either side of Main Street, are two buildings which were both formerly village shops and post offices. The one next to the pub is believed to date from 1658 according to a carved beam inside.

Continue to:

15* – THE RED HOUSE

Dating from the 19th Century, this building was used for some time both as a farm and public house. Originally known as the Red Cow and then the Paget Arms, it ceased trading in the 1960s. The coat of arms of the Paget family, former local landowners and Lords of the Manor, can still be seen over the main door. The forecourt was thought to be designed for use by the hunt during local meets. The building to the left, at right angles to the road, was once the granary, stables and cow shed.

Turn left into Rushes Lane and on the left find:

16 – ANVIL HOUSE

Built in the 1900s, this is the site of one of the many former forges in the village, Connell Close to the rear being named after the last blacksmith.
The two modern houses, numbers 27 and 29, on the opposite side of Rushes Lane were constructed on the site of the Perkinsʼ pickle factory, later converted into a garage.

A little further along Rushes Lane, on the same side, discover:

17* – THE DOWER HOUSE

Formerly part of the Cottage Estate, the date of this house, 177?, can be seen in the brickwork on the south gable wall. Like Gore Lodge (no 13) and the Tower House (no 19), also part of the same estate, it used to be ivy covered. The small cottage attached was originally the stud groomʼs house.

On the opposite side of the road is:

18* – ADAMS FARM

An early 19th Century house adjoining the original Georgian cottage and dairy, it is believed to take its name from Robert Adams, a farmer and grazier. Note the stone wall partially exposed on the southern end of the white building.
The cottages and Church View Barn, at right angles to the road, were formerly outbuildings of the farm. They overlook a small paddock, previously a duck pond.

Further on the left is:

19* – THE TOWER HOUSE AND STABLES

Originally a Georgian house named The Cottage and built in 1771, it was enlarged by Messrs Cubitts, well-known London builders, in 1862 as a hunting box for Benedict John (Jack) Angell, also known as ʻCherryʼ Angell. The tower was added in 1865 to allow Angell to watch his horses racing in nearby fields. The impressive double-sided stables, dated 1852, housed 20 horses, including the first two winners of the Grand National Hunt Chase, Bridegroom and Queensferry.

Note the groomʼs cottage between the house and stables.

Continue along the churchyard to see:

20 – ALL SAINTS CHURCH

The church is first mentioned in records in 1109. The present building is a mixture of architectural styles. The chancel and nave date between 1150 and 1215 with the north aisle and chapel added circa 1220. An arch in the north chapel is in typical rounded old Romanesque style whilst the arch leading to the north aisle is pointed, indicative of the new Gothic architecture. A bell tower built in 1250 is believed to have had a spire that blew down in the Great Storm of 1703. The bell tower is tiled whilst the rest of the roof is lead covered.

Look carefully at the external features. The jumble of architectural styles reveals the alterations and enlargements that have taken place over the centuries.
Inside, medieval wall paintings have been revealed under the whitewash on the chancel arch, including the Trinity diagram. The Church retains its three-decker pulpit with tester and rare Georgian box pews.
The church bells: The tenor bell dates from 1624, three bells were recast in 1724 and a fifth added. A sixth bell was purchased in 2001 following fundraising in the village.
An illustrated guide book of All Saints is available in the church.

Follow the path through the churchyard into Church Walk. Note the interesting gravestones, including one which dates from 1689 and several others from the 1720s.

21* – VERGERʼS COTTAGE

A beautiful 18th century house with Flemish bond brickwork and fine old oak studded front door. Previously thatched, there is a date mark IW 1737 in brick on the western end wall.

22* – EDEN HOUSE

A wonderful cruck-beamed A-framed house (an A frame supports the roof independently from the walls) first built circa 1580 of wattle and daub with a later extension built in 1731.

Turn right in front of the white cottages and follow the dry stone wall of the churchyard, which was recently renovated and rebuilt in three stages by village volunteers.
Note the date stones.

23* – THE RAILWAY BRIDGE

Built to take the Rugby to Stamford line over the East Farndon road, the bridge is unusual in having one arch for normal traffic and a second, where the road is lower, to allow for fully laden farm carts.

If you wish to shorten the route, rather than proceeding to point 24* – THORPE LUBENHAM HALL, you can return to point 19 – THE TOWER HOUSE AND STABLES and then proceed to point 28 – THE VILLAGE PUMP.

Immediately under the bridge turn right and follow the footpath over the stile towards Marston Trussell. Look left across the village cricket pitch for a fine view of:

24* – THORPE LUBENHAM HALL

The Queen Anne-style hall, circa 1800, is now only half its original size. Built by F P Stratford, it became part of his 1400-acre estate which included parts of East Farndon, Marston Trussell and the Laughton Hills. The hall has been owned by several notable families including the Cunards (who installed the Cunard Gate into the garden), Sir Harold and Lady Zia Wernher, and Viscount Kemsley. Queen Elizabeth II and her family frequently stayed at the house as guests of the Wernher and Phillips families and worshipped in the nearby parish church.
On the opposite side of the drive the moat for the ancient hall can still be seen.

Now return to point 19 – THE TOWER HOUSE AND STABLES.

After passing All Saints’ Church, take the left fork in the road and then turn left onto Westgate Lane to reach:

28 – THE VILLAGE PUMP, WESTGATE LANE

From the old pump, Turn left and note, on the opposite side of Westgate Lane:


Note, to shorten the route head up Westgate Lane to point 30 – WESTLAND Close.

27 – WASH PIT LANE

The old wash pit, formerly used by local farmers as a sheep wash, is still visible to the left.

At the main road turn left and pass the old railway bridge to reach:

26 – THE RAILWAY STATION

It opened in 1869, some 19 years after the line itself, and closed in 1966.

Now proceed back along the main road towards Lubenham until you reach Westlands Lane. Turn Right down Westgate Lane to reach Westland Close on your left.

30 – WESTLAND CLOSE

This was the site of Western Villa, a fine Victorian farmhouse that was demolished in the 1960s to make way for the
estate originally built to house prison officers from the newly opened Gartree Prison.

Cross the main road to Foxton Road. On the left is:

31* – THE VILLAGE HALL

The original wooden hall was built in 1928 on land donated by the Paget family. By 1993 it had fallen into such a dilapidated state that new kitchen and toilets were erected and in 2004 the old wooden structure was demolished completely and replaced by the present enlarged brick building. A further extension was added in 2007.

On the right is:

32 – THE VILLAGE GREEN

Part of the local charity, Lubenham Green Gardens, this large area was formerly allotments. It is now a great amenity for the village.

Keeping the Green to the right, continue along the road known as The Green to:

33* – THE MILL HOUSE

Built in the 18th Century it was associated with the windmill situated at the top of the hill behind.

Continue along The Green to:

34* – 49 THE GREEN

Dating from circa 1600 and originally two cruck-framed cottages, this is one of the oldest houses in the village. In the early Victorian period it was enlarged and the thatched roof replaced with slate.

Continuing along the road, it is possible to reach the site of the old mill by following the signed footpath that runs through the Playing Field. The windmill was burnt down in the 1800s but is still marked by an iron stanchion, possibly part of the millstone mechanism. From here there are magnificent views across the whole village as far as Thorpe Lubenham, East Farndon, Theddingworth and to the site of the mysterious Papillon Hall.

Follow around The Green and you will find yourself back at the start of the Village Trail.